Welcome!

Books Enchanted refers to my art biz, but you'll find tutorials, recipes and lots more here! Thanks for stopping by!
Copyright Karie Ward 2011-2013




Monday, July 30, 2012

Light box pictures


I've been struggling with my camera. I'm not a great photographer and I realize it really shows up here on my blog.  Don't even mention Etsy!  I've made many attempts for great pics but to no avail, although I know this is a necessity at this point in order to sell my work.   My books don't photograph well anyway, but they are great in person.  So I'm trying hard to learn some photography basics.  One big recommendation in the craft biz books and on the websites is to build a "light box".  Here's my feeble attempt.  I've taken the pics that follow with both my crappy 3G iphone camera and my digital camera.  I struggle with the ease of posting pictures from my phone, but the quality is pretty bad. 

Maybe this experiment will inspire me to start using my digital more!

So building the lightbox...you know, I take my time when I can be creative, but I have absolutely no patience for nuts and bolts stuff.  I know I've done a messy job with the paper inside the box.  :) 

 
I had to find a box big enough for my books. 


Luckily, my son has an art easel that had white roller paper, so I stole some from him.  I just tucked it into the box and taped the outer edges.  I think I was supposed to cut off one of the box sides but again, I get in a hurry and want to get to the fun stuff--the picture taking!




I just bought this handy white craft table on craigslist that will eventually end up in my studio once I get our big screen tv out of there.  I plan on setting up a permanent corner for snapping shots of my work before it goes out, once I have the room.  But for now I dragged it up into my plant/hot tub room and set it by the slider for some indirect light.  I'll take the pics there.  I also brought up a small task size ottlite for
additional lighting.


So lets compare....the pictures on the left were taken with the iphone.  The ones on the right were taken with my digital.  Both were in the the lightbox with the ott-lite on for some brightness. 



I see a little bit of difference here, but not much....
 


Big difference here I think!
 




And a big difference here (look at the color diff!)



Let's try some closeups.... wowza, big difference here!


I'm definitely seeing a trend.  Looks like I'll be taking more pictures with the digital.  **sigh**
 

Continue to scroll down for more pics of my work.  See if you can determine which are the iphone and digital.  I'll bet you can. 

**Note: most of the items pictured here will be going to Vineyard Gourmet Chocolates in Coloma for sale, although a couple of the potion bottles will be posted to Books Enchanted on Etsy.   You can also buy similar items from Lotsa Little Things/Gallery 248 either online or in Kalamazoo, MI or Grace's Place in Paw Paw, MI. 



































No comments:

Post a Comment