Welcome!

Books Enchanted refers to my art biz, but you'll find tutorials, recipes and lots more here! Thanks for stopping by!
Copyright Karie Ward 2011-2013




Thursday, July 26, 2012

Best Cheesy Potato Recipe Ever


It sure seems like I'm doing more cooking than crafting lately!  It's true.  I'm an "extreme couponer" as well as a crafter and I'm currently going through my freezer, seeing what I need to cook up before it gets freezer burn. I bought a ham in the spring on sale and what goes better with ham than CHEESY POTATOES?  

I LOVE cooking spiral ham in the summer.  I buy those babies when they are on sale in the Spring, then I cook them up in the Summer and make my house smell all yummy and Cracker Barrell-y.  Then I take the leftovers and make this lovely southern ham and bean recipe (soon to come -with cayenne--the hubby loves it!).  But to go on the side of our spiral ham tonight, I'm cooking up some cheesy potatoes.  

About 10 years ago, I became completely obsessed with finding a perfect cheesy potato recipe.  Way back when I was 16, I had a boyfriend, and his momma made THE BEST cheesy potatoes (Mrs. Gilbert I'm talking about you!).  He lived an hour and a half away from me, so I spent the night over there in his sister's room.  On Sunday mornings we would get up and go to church.  His momma would put a roast in the oven and when we came home it would all be done and ready for eating.  The entire house smelled like yummy food when we walked in the door!  What could be better than that?  She always made this spectacular baked cheesy potato recipe to go with dinner that I went crazy for....I'm pretty sure hers was not as rich as mine.  She may have even just stirred up some frozen ore ida's and butter and sour cream and then topped it with cheddar and thrown it in the oven at 350 for 30min.  It was delicious. 

So I searched near and far for a cheesy potato recipe to suit me and I ended up making up this one based on all the other recipes I found.  This is the one that suits me and my family.  It's decadent and filled with fat and starch, just the way we like it.  It's my favorite, but as usual I've included tips on how to make this your own. If you like the potato chips on the top the way your grammy always did it, then by all means, put some chips on the top! 

 My little brother ALWAYS asks for this dish at gatherings and steals the leftovers.  If I bring this dish to a potluck  (this recipe suits a breakfast, lunch or dinner menu), I never have any left to take home. 
It is rich, fattening, country comfort food.  Enjoy!


The first ridiculous thing I do is throw a whole stick of butter in a big sauce pan and melt it. 
(if loving butter is wrong, I don't want to be right!)

Then I add an onion, diced up small.  I dice it small because my son hates onion and he'll freak if he catches me adding it in, but oh the flavor it adds!  You can also add green or red peppers here. 
For a main dish I've also added diced ham during this part, or smokey links
(yes, my daughter LOVES this recipe with smokey links).

Melt the butter and add the onion, sauteing until tender.  (can't you just smell this cooking?)  (again, sorry for the pics, I promise I'll have an iphone 4 by oct w/ much better pics!)

 

Then I stir in a can of cream of chicken (store brand or name brand --whatever).  Some of you are coming apart at the seams right now because you ALWAYS use cream of mushroom.  OK, FINE!  Use that if that's what suits you.  You have to make this recipe to suit your own "comfort level".  
Stir the soup in and warm it all up

Then grab a countainer of Sour Cream.  I use full fat because my little brother goes nutso if I try to use lowfat.  You can use up to a 24 oz container.  Sometimes I use a smaller one.  This time I used a 24 oz container that was 3/4 full.   The point here is that you can do this to taste, and you don't have to run out to the store if you only have a half container in the fridge.  Use what you have honey, it'll be just fine.  Perfect.
Stir that in there and heat it up.  All of this is on low heat.  Just let it heat low and slow. 

Yummy!  Add Salt and Pepper!

Now you get to decide if this concoction is smooth/liquidy enough for you.  I tend to like mine creamier as opposed to thicker.  I add in some liquid: Skim Milk, Whole Milk, Half&Half, or Cream.  If you are taking your dish to a potluck add cream or half and half, just to kick it up a notch.  You are not responsible for heart attacks or cholesterol, just a good tasting dish that people will be talking about for years to come.   If you are making this mid-summer at home, add a 1/4 stick of butter, light sour cream and some skim milk. Whatever suits you!  I like mine soupy because I think those taters soak up the cream during the cooking process.  I add approx 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup of liquid. 

 This time I used half and half (shame, shame on me)  Heat that up... 



See how it's kinda soupy  (oooh, add cooked broccoli to that baby and we've got a yummy soup!)

Now add some cheese.  Here I added about a cup of shredded sharp cheddar.  Keep in mind you totally don't even need to add cheese here if you don't want to!  Have yourself a baked potato casserole with just the sour cream, soup and butter!  Or add swiss!  Or some asiago and parm!  Make it your own!  I mean really, you have this creamy base for your taters so you can do it up any way you like. 
Add bacon, hell I don't care!
NOTE:  MAKE SURE that the temp is nice and low.  You don't want your dairy burning.
 I melt my cheese nice and slow, stirring pretty much constantly (with love). 


Once the cheese is all melted, it's time to add your taters!
=
So a word about taters...many recipes tell you to use the "southern style" potatos.  I have used both the southern style and those hash brown kind that are chunked up smaller into little matchstick size.  Also, some recipes have you thaw your hashbrowns first. Personally, I'm from the school of "whoops, I didn't plan ahead" and I usually use frozen hash browns.  It takes longer, but I deal with it by stirring them half way through the baking process (see below) and that works for me.  Use whatever works for you.   If your pan is big enough, pour those babies right in and stir them up.  If not, pour half in, stir them up, pour them into your baking dish, then pour in the other half and repeat the process.

Here's how they look when I pour them into the dish.  Cook at 350 for 30 min.  if they are frozen....then stir half way through and add another 30 min.
I'm puttin my casserole in my fantastic Breville Smart Oven, cuz I'm using the big one for my ham.   You should buy a Breville too (I'm totally not even advertising here, I just love mine!)
You can find them at Williams-Sonoma.  See how it fits my huge casserole dish?

When the sides begin to bubble (after the first 30 min) stir them up again.  I think this is the best way to ensure even heating!  Stir those babies up and cook em for another 30 min.  
 (your cooking for about an hour total)

About 20 minutes before the end time I add a layer of cheese. 
 This would be where you add your chips, crackers, or whatever topping you like:

When the cheese or topping begins to brown take it out of the oven and let it set....
Dreamy Cheesy Potatoes!  Save some for breakfast too!
Other ideas?  Please add comments!!!










1 comment:

  1. Karie...these look and sound amazing! Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete