Welcome!

Books Enchanted refers to my art biz, but you'll find tutorials, recipes and lots more here! Thanks for stopping by!
Copyright Karie Ward 2011-2013




Thursday, April 11, 2013

Shabby No Sew Liner for Antique Wire Laundry Basket



So I scored this lovely old fashion laundry basket for $12 bucks (that's right) at a second hand store and I love it!   Of course, you've seen  this one they sell for $149 at Pottery Barn (Go buy it.  I've considered it often. I won't judge you)
French Wire Hamper & Liner
I love my AUTHENTIC antique basket!  However, it does not look pretty with a bunch of clothes just thrown in and no liner.  I contacted a lady on etsy who makes them....for $65 plus shipping.  Now, I OWN a sewing machine and often have great intentions of sewing lovely things, but I don't really have the patience for it. I even found a pattern for this liner on MODA:  http://quiltbarn.blogspot.com/2012/03/moda-laundry-basket.html.  Pretty, but scary.....so I came up with this shabby idea that took me about an hour!
***

Take two old sheets, they should have complementary patterns.  These vintage sheets are both twin,  These both happen to be fitted but you could do this with flat sheets.  I don't think they even have to be sheets.  If you love a print, go with it!  As long as it's big enough to drape into the basket and over the sides.  The idea is SHABBY.

Lay the together, pretty side outward....or "back to back"

Lay them over the basket.  Arrange them so they drape into the basket and over the sides. You want them arranged pretty much where you want them to stay.
See how it's bunchy and imperfect....that is okay.

You can trim off the excess to work it easier.  I did a big trim up at the end, but you can do some here, just make sure you leave enough for the shabby ties.

Now cut strips all around.  I grabbed both sheets and cut at the same time so I would have even amounts.  I was not technical about it and they were def. not all even widths.



See....

Many strips, all around....they match up....kinda (lol)

See.....
Here's a pic of the long side.  I trimmed some of these before tying

Now start tying those babies together over the edge of the wire basket.  One on each side of the wire....
Try to space them evenly amongst the webbing of the basket.
Isn't this looking cute?

After I had all the "matches" tied I trimmed them all because I thought it looked cuter w/ the shorties....
Inside view.....(I'm thinking CUTER than Pottery Barn!)
I just tied everything in knots. You can maybe get fancy if you like.
Much better than the bare wire!  And I didn't have to pay much, OR wait for shipping....I love instant gratification.



I aged some paper (see Books Enchanted) and made a "clean" sign.  I tied it with a ribbon and voila!


3 comments: